How to test ABRT reports in Foreman
Martin Milata
2014-02-10 18:53:09 UTC
This is a mini-guide to using Foreman with ABRT. Experimental branch of
smart-proxy that is able to receive ABRT uReports and forward them as a
Puppet report to Foreman is available at
https://github.com/mmilata/smart-proxy/tree/abrtproxy

* Managed machine assumptions:
- Machine managed by Foreman via Puppet.
- Fedora 19 or 20 installed.
- SELinux disabled (prevents ABRT from reading Puppet certificates,
there's a bug report open for this).
- libreport-2.1.12 or higher (currently in updates-testing in f19,
stable in f20; in rhel7 2.1.11-5 can be used)

* Configure the smart-proxy. Please note that the provided git branch is
proof-of-concept and the configuration may change in the future
version. Your /etc/foreman-proxy/settings.yml should contain:

# URL of your foreman instance
:foreman_url: https://f19-foreman.virtnet
# certificates used for communication with foreman
:foreman_ssl_ca: /var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/ca.pem
:foreman_ssl_cert: /var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/f19-smartproxy.virtnet.pem
:foreman_ssl_key: /var/lib/puppet/ssl/private_keys/f19-smartproxy.virtnet.pem
# enable ABRT proxy
:abrtproxy: true
# the proxy can optionally forward the ureport to an actual ABRT server
# if the following options are set
#:abrt_server_url: http://127.0.0.1:12345/faf
#:abrt_server_ssl_noverify: true
#:abrt_server_ssl_cert: /tmp/client_cert.pem
#:abrt_server_ssl_key: /tmp/client_key.pem

* Configure ABRT/libreport on the managed host -
/etc/libreport/plugins/ureport.conf should contain following:

# URL of your foreman-proxy, with /abrt path
URL = https://f19-smartproxy.virtnet:8443/abrt
# do not verify server certificate
SSLVerify = no
# this asks puppet config for the path to the ceritificates, you can
# explicitly provide path by using /path/to/cert:/path/to/key as the
# right hand side
SSLClientAuth = puppet

* Enable autoreporting:

# abrt-auto-reporting enabled

* Ensure that ABRT is running:

# systemctl start abrtd
# systemctl start abrt-ccpp

* Crash something. We have a set of utilities in Fedora repo for this
purpose:

# yum -y install will-crash
$ will_segfault
Will segfault.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

* After a couple of seconds you should be able to see a report in
Foreman with one failed resource and a log message briefly describing
the crash.

Hopefully I didn't skip anything.
Martin
Lukas Zapletal
2014-02-13 11:12:57 UTC
Thank you, I tested this and it works.

On my Fedora 20 minimal installation I just had to do this:

yum -y install abrt abrt-addon-ccpp abrt-python

This e-mail is a great start for our documentation. I can write one once
your patch is accepted.
--
Later,

Lukas "lzap" Zapletal